<$BlogRSDUrl$>




Sunday, January 14, 2007



[Ta Kung Pao & The Sun 14/01/07]

JSG Awards 2006: Fourth Time Pop Queen Joey Yung Overcomes Differences with Eric Tsang by Sharing a Hug

The Jade Solid Gold Awards 2006 were held on Friday at the Hong Kong Coliseum, where 45 awards in 17 categories were handed out to Hong Kong's singers and musicians. The highlight of the ceremony was when the Most Popular Male and Female Singers award winners were revealed. Despite her recent wave of gossip, Joey Yung took the female award four the fourth year running and she cried as she thanked her supporters and added the word "Sorry!". Eason Chan beat Leo Ku once again to take the Most Popular Male award, whilst Andy Lau and Kelly Chen took the Asia Pacific awards once again, this being the sixth time for Kelly, who seemed a little disinterested in her award. The Golden Song award went to Leo Ku for his song "Loving too Late". Having just changed her record company, Miriam Yeung left empty-haneded and TVB Godson Hacken Lee received just one award for a top ten song.

At the beginning of the show, Master of Ceremonies Eric Tsang started by talking about his feelings towards this years awards. He felt that the awards ceremonies of recent years have shown fewer and fewer outstanding performers, especially as many of the more experienced singers announcing their withdrawl from the awards systems and other singers not making an appearance if they are not receiving an award, this has resulted in the smallest turnout that he has ever seen. He says passionately: "People say if they don't attend, they won't win, but this is only because the organisers don't want it to be collected by anyone else and not because they don't want to give the award. Several years ago, Faye Wong once said that she hoped for the music industry to have less gossip and more good songs, I feel that we should be promoting less pettiness and more participation, this can only make the music industry a more star-studded show." After showing his support over the years for the awards ceremonies, Andy Lau feels that there is no issue of fairness or unfairness amid the current awards scene, just regulation and non-regulations. For him, he just takes part with a happy heart. He says: "Awards have brought me a lot of fame, fortune and fans, so because of this, I continue this insistence. I hope you do not think I am becoming more and more thick-skinned and continue to support me." When the singers took their seats at the show, Eric made a joke of their seating arrangements.

Joey has been faced with allegations of copying an outfit and earlier had some confrontations with Eric Tsang. As she performed her song "Beautiful Encounter", she could not hold back the tears and later when she was presented with her award, she started crying again and in the audience, her manager Mani also cried for her. She said hysterically: "Thank you to the friends who have supported me, I will keep on working hard. For making so many people worry about me, I am very sorry." During her song, she hugged Denise Ho, Miriam and Kelly, but when she faced Eric, they stared at each other for a while before Joey gave him a hug as well. When Alan Tam announced the winner of the award, he was showing his support for Kelly and Miriam and did not say anything about Joey at all.

Eason beat Leo to the Male Singer award and seated beside him, Leo seemed a little stunned before congratulating him. Paco Wong (Leo's manager) was expressionless off stage. Leo was later awarded the Golden Song award as something of a consolation. As it is the 25th Anniversary of Jade Solid Gold this year, a special award was also presented for the 25th Anniversary Honourary Golden Song and from the many Golden Songs of the past, Alan Tam's "Love Trap" was chosen as the winner. Alan wore some golden framed sunglasses onto the stage and when Eric saw this, he joked: "What are you doing? Are you frightening me? After the blessing ceremony this afternoon, where did you go? Did you for a facelift?" Alan raised the award and said: "Do you want to be hit?"

Andy and Justin Lo both took 4 awards each, making them the big winners on the night. Justin took a top ten song award for "Love Song" and he was surprised as he said: "Why me? Again?" He says that he has watched the footage from previous JSG awards ceremonies and saw Anita Mui and Leslie on the same stage, so he feels honoured to be able to share this stage with them. Eric also revealed that Andy had said to him in secret that if he took the Asia Pacific award, Male Singer and Golden Song Awards, then he would have announced his wedding on the stage!

After all the animoscity between Eric and Joey, he seemed to have toned down his act a lot at the show and on two occasions, referred to Joey as 'Big Sis Joey'. When Hacken and Joey presented the award for Best Outstanding Performance, Hacken stood between Joey and Eric and Eric laughed: "What are you standing between us for? It's nothing to with you!" Then he went over to Joey, bowed to her and said: "Big Sis Joey, you look beautiful tonight!" making her nod and smile.

When Eric asked Hacken to talk about his favourites, Hacken continued the jokes and said: "I am just here to mediate the situation, let's just go to the results." The jokes continued as Lui Fong and Lam Man Chung presented their awards and Man Chung could not help but joke about the incident again, making Eric want to hit him. Later, when TVB Executive Stephen Chan went onto the stage, Joey and Eric were on together again and Stephen asked them directly if they had fallen out. Eric replied continually: "What do you think? What is wrong? (So shake hands.) That is very superficial, we have already shaken." In the end, Eric approached Joey for a handshake and said: "Big Sis Joey, there is nothing now." Joey just smiled throughout and did not say anything at all. Eric continued to compliment her when her song was announced, naming her as My Most Admired Singer.

http://www.takungpao.com.hk/news/07/01/14/UL-678251.htm
http://www.takungpao.com.hk/news/07/01/14/UL-678250.htm
http://the-sun.orisun.com/channels/ent/20070114/20070114012039_0000.html



[Ta Kung Pao 14/11/07]

Koni Lui is More Courageous Now

This year's Miss Hong Kong runners up Koni Lui and Janet Chow joined Winnie Shum took part in a TVB Pay Vision Lifestyle Channel event yesterday and Koni spoke about her experience of hosting the Yan Chai charity event earlier, saying it was good fun and she is thankful to Sammy Leung for giving her advice. Afterwards, she went to see executive Ho Lai Chuen, who indicated that she had only just passed with her performance and needed to improve in the future. However, she says that this experience has helped build her courage.

Janet was once a TV host on a Canadian TV station, so she has put her skills to good use. Earlier she also took part as a host in the TVB Sales Presentation. Koni and Janet will be heading out to Foshan next week to support Aimee Chan, who will be taking part in the Miss Chinese International pageant. They fancy her chances and are preparing to celebrate with her.

http://www.takungpao.com.hk/news/07/01/14/UL-678264.htm



[The Sun 14/01/07]

Hins Cheung Interviews Ada Choi

"The Dance of Passion" revealed once again to the viewers the refined acting of Ada Choi. As an artiste, whether you meet a good script and a producer who values you is entirely down to luck. The Ada in our eyes is a lucky person, but in her eyes, everything is thanks to God's love...

H: Hins Cheung
A: Ada Choi

Career Emerged from Tears

In many people's hearts, Ada is their Best Actress. After taking part in Miss Hong Kong at the age of 17, she quickly rose to a leading lady and her career seemed to be plain sailing, but behind the initial success, there were tears and at one stage, her self-confidence was rock bottom.

H: You entered the industry through Miss Hong Kong 1991, did you ever think about leaving after the contest (and not entering showbiz)?

A: No, taking part in Miss Hong Kong was my childhood dream and from an early age, I had wanted to enter showbiz. My family had waited for the day I could enter this industry, so in Form 3 at school, I had already entered a Super Model contest and even before I had graduated from form 5, I had entered the contest. However, I was not thankful then and my life was full of tears. Not knowing how to act or how to host, when I hosted EYT, I even read people's names wrong, so I felt really useless.

H: Hosting on EYT was already a good position.

A: Having a good position was the worst thing because I felt that I did not deserve to do this because I had lazy pronunication and at the time, there was a character in a series called 'Lik Hang' and I kept calling him 'Lik Hen' and it was only after filming the very last episode that I realised I had been pronouncing it incorrectly, but I was totally oblivious to the problem, so don't you think this was a major issue? In the end, I learned to read the bible and correct my lazy pronunciation.



Filming Debut was Full of Reprimands

H: You worked with Aaron (Kwok) during your first series, did you think you would make a name for yourself through this?

A: At the time, as long as I didn't mess up, then it was okay, because I was already pretty bad at hosting and I thought that if I can't even get this series right, then I would be dead. In the series, it tells of how Aaron has a secret crush on me and there was a lot of pressure. I remember that in the first scene, I had to memorise four pages of lines and complete it in one take, but when I remembered my lines, I would forget my expressions and as it was a night scene, we also had to adjust for lighting as well, so for a newcomer, it was not easy and I was scolded all the time by the directors. I felt that I was really useless and did not know how I would establish myself afterwards.

Crying Silently Behind Others

H: Did you ever cry about this? Did you think about giving up?

A: I would never cry in front of other people, but when I got home and the emotions gathered, then I would cry non-stop. However, I never thought about giving u, because I had no other road I could take and as I was interested in acting, the company was giving me a lot of opportunities. I did not take a vacation from 1992 to 1995 and even before finishing one series, I had another one starting. On this marathon filming run, I gradually learned how to compromise with the camera and during this time, I became happier.

H: After so many years, which role is the most memorable? Which role is the most like your own personality?

A: The most memorable was Chiu Yuk [Dance of Passion]. When I act, I will think through how to do it when I receive the script, but producer Chik (Kei Yi) told me to forget about everything beforehand and think from scratch about how Chiu Yuk is. This role is completed different from my normal self and often I would carry off the whole scene, so it was very hard work and I had to pray every time I went into the studio. As for the most similar role, it was in "Armed Reacion IV" because the character is very tomboyish and was very direct about doing things. How she dealt with her romances was particular resemblant.



Finding New Life through the Love of Religion

After the days without God in her life, this made Ada cherish everything she has even more and she will always be smiling. Since becoming a Christian, she has a happy and thankful heart and understands the meaning of life.

H: Many people know that you are a Christian, have you had any periods where you felt you could not see God?

A: I put God aside in 1995 and at the time, my career was going very well and I even filmed movies with Stephen Chow and Jet Li, but then I had nothing to do and in 9 months, no-one offered me any work. Coupled with the poor relationship I had with my family, I felt very helpless. At the time, I had no friends and was overly self-protecting, so I was very false and would not put my heart into friendships and did know know what point there was to life. In 1996, I returned to the church and began to realise my problems, I found love there and also met a lot of friends. I brought God into my work and I changed entirely.

H: Christians usually feel very humble, have you ever lost out on any opportunities because of your faith? When I first started in the industry, people told me to offer incense and join in the photo to increase press coverage, but I felt I would rather have less publicity. I would joke with them and say: "If I carried a cross, then there would be even more pictures of me."

A: I turned down some films because of God or when I was out spreading the gospel, but I believe that God has His arrangements for me. I remember in 1998, a TV station offered me a job and the pay was very good, but because I had to film a ghost story, I decided to stay at TVB and film for "Secret of the Heart", then I received a female lead award for this series, so I was very thankful.



Searching for Love & Chan Siu Sang

After many years in the industry, Ada's most recognised boyfriend in the past was Nicky Wu, but now he has married his new girlfriend recently, whilst Ada is still searching and waiting for her real life 'Chan Siu Sang' to appear.

H: You are now the dream lover of many people, were you the target for dates when you were at high school?

A: No, I was not the school beauty when I was at school and no-one really dated me. At the time it was really crazy and I felt that the boys who would like me were not good boys because if they liked me, they would be the ones who would go for anything. So I really hated them. The people who are courting me now though, of course they have good taste! Haha!

H: You have dated people from within the industry, did you split because of the pressure caused by gossip?

A: There were a lot of problems then, but the one that caused the split was a personal one. I think about 20% was down to the gossip, when the magazines would say one day that you were a perfect match and then the next they would say that your background isn't strong enough. As a result, I will not reveal any future relationships again, but I do not mind dating men from within the industry.

H: In so many TV series, which male character would be your perfect partner?

A: "Armed Reactions" Chan Siu Sang. I like active men, who know how to play with me and make me happy. I am very scared of boyfriends who are too serious or who are always preaching to me.

H: Have you thought about when you will get married?

A: In the past, I thought that you had to have a lot of money to get married, but now I feel that if you have love, then that is enough. The most important thing is to be able to communicate and if I find this person, then I will marry him.

Epilogue: Just Believe

Inviting Ada to this interview, you can feel her directness and also her deep belief in her foundations of faith. She says that she is not too worried about the future, because God has laid a path for her... thank you for her making us aware that if you just believe, then you will possess.

http://the-sun.orisun.com/channels/ent/20070114/20070113232657_0000.html
http://the-sun.orisun.com/channels/ent/20070114/20070113232657_0000_1.html


(File Photo)

[The Sun 14/01/07]

Bosco Wong Picks Up Third Hand Singing Job

TVB has liked to promote its own artistes as singers in recent years and even the theme song for the Korean series "My Girl" that premieres this evening will be sung by Bosco Wong. Reports indicate that originally Raymond Lam and Kenneth Ma were auditioned for this song, but in the end the job rested with third choice Bosco.

TVB is currently promoting the musical career of Raymond after he proved his ability to sing and dance last year and originally had asked him to sing the Cantonese theme song for "My Girl", however Raymond was unable to record due to illness and Kenneth was called in urgently to replace him. However, with the song based on a rap, it was realised after two hours of rehearsals that it was too difficult for Kenneth to sing and he gave up. Still eager to keep the work within the fold, they passed the job over to Bosco and fortunately as he had done some rapping for the theme song to his earlier series "War of In-Laws" with Liza Wang, he performed well and delivered the desired result.

Bosco does not mind picking up the third-hand job: "This is very normal. The company often calls us all in to test a song and who can't sing? Maybe this song was more suitable for me." He admits that the song is quite difficult: "There is a little bit of rapping in there and the lyrics are quite complex and you really have to get your pronunciation right." He admits that he hopes to release a record of his own in the future, so when he has time, he will take proper lessons from a singing teacher.

Kenneth also admits that he tried the song, but rap is not really suited to him: "Bosco would definitely handle it better than me. To be frank, I do only have a small interest in rap and I rarely listen to it. On the day, they called me in last minute to try singing and I had to learn it there and then on the spot in the space of less than two hours. I don't mind not singing it, but I do hope to have my own songs in the future so I can sing it when I am making money doing stage performances."

http://the-sun.orisun.com/channels/ent/20070114/20070113231820_0000.html


Back to top